Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Wisconsin’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures FY 2008
- Annual budget: $1.08 billion
- Percentage of the state general fund: 8%
- Average annual cost per inmate: 29,600
DOC Staff and Population
- Total department active personnel: 1,812
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 39,360
- Total number of facilities: 20
- Recidivism: 38.7%
- Population: 71,282
Organization of state divisions, view here.
Overcrowding Quick Facts
- 1 in 39 adults is under correctional control
- Wisconsin corrections is budget expected to rise to $2.5 billion by 2019.
Points of Contact
General Information: (608) 240-5300
Organization of DOC Staff, view here.
News and Media
- A growing deficit and overcrowded prisons, read more.
- Wisconsin corrections reform options, read more.