Below is a summary of information including: statistics from West Virginia’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures 2007-2008
- Annual budget: $139,540,225
- Average annual cost per inmate: $23,264
- Average daily food cost per inmate: $3.77
- Average daily medical cost per inmate: $12.23
DOC Staff and Population
- Total number of facilities: 14
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 5,908
- Escaped: 9
- Court ordered release: 355
Organization of state divisions, view here.
- Offices: 15
- Officers: 42
- Population: 2,567
Overcrowding Quick Facts
- In December, a seven-member panel was appointed to devise ways to alleviate the prison overcrowding problem in West Virginia
Points of Contact
WV DOC Central Office
112 California Ave.
Bldg. 4, Room 300
Charleston, WV 25305
(304) 558-2036 Phone
(304) 558-5934 Fax
Organization of DOC Executive Staff, view here.
News and Media
- Governor Joe Manchin reviews prison overcrowding report, read more.
- Supreme Court Compliance Committee on Prisons and Jails Issues Interim Report on Prison Overcrowding, read more.
- System in Jeopardy, read more.