Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Vermont’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures FY 2008
- Annual budget: $129 million
- Total institutional expenditures: $81,743,783
- Average annual cost per inmate: $51,058
DOC Staff and Population
- Total department active personnel: 1,166
- Total number of facilities: 8
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 2,082
- Escaped: 0
- Prisons compete with private-industry: Yes
Organization of state divisions, view here.
- Facilities: 11
- Population: 1,049
Overcrowding Quick Facts
- Two of Vermont’s 8 correctional institutions are over 100% capacity
- State spending on corrections increased from 4 percent of state general funds in 1990 to 10 percent of state general funds in 2008.
- Vermont Overcrowding Commission Report 2004
Points of Contact
Vermont Department of Corrections
103 South Main St
Waterbury, VT 05671-1001