Below is a summary of information including: statistics from South Dakota’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s corrections system, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures
- Annual budget: $101,802,779
- Percentage of the state General Fund allocated in the 2009-2010 Budget Proposal to Corrections: 6%
- Average annual cost per inmate: $21,043*
* Average cost to house inmates at the three largest state prisons
Doc Staff and Population
- Total department active personnel
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction
- Total number of facilities: 6
- Escaped: 2
- Average sentence: 24 mos.
- Average time served: 20 mos. for males, 13 mos. for females
- Average age: 35 years
- Compete with private industry: Yes
Organization of state divisions, view here.
- Population: 2,810
- For the second consecutive fiscal year the adult prison population decreased. The average daily count (ADC) during FY 2008 was 3,344, which was 34 less than 2007, and 84 less than 2006.
Points of Contact
For general inquiries about the Department’s activities: 605-773-3478