Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Ohio’s Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures 2008-2009
- Annual budget: $1.8 billion
- Percentage of the state General Fund allocated in the 2009-2010 Budget Proposal to Corrections – 7.7%
- Average annual cost per inmate – $24,695.90
ODRC STAFF and POPULATION
- Total department active personnel – 13,406
- Total incarcerated under ODRC jurisdiction – 51,113
- Total number of facilities – 31
- Escaped – 1
Organization of state divisions view here.
- Facilities – 71
- Population – 36,952
- Present caseloads are approximately 75 offenders per officer.
OVERCROWDING QUICK FACTS
- Ohio’s corrections facilities are at 132 percent capacity
POINTS OF CONTACT
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections Contacts:
General Information: (614) 752-1159
Ohio Institute on Correctional Best Practices
P.O. Box 69
London, Ohio 43140
Organization of ODRC Executive Staff, view here.
NEWS AND MEDIA
- 20,000 criminals released on the streets, read more.
- Ohio parole board considers the early release of violent offenders, read more.
- Ohio county prosecutors recommend changes to state drug laws, read more.