Below is a summary of information including: statistics from New York’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures 2007-2008
- Annual budget – $2.5 billion
- Average annual cost per inmate – $40,221
DOC STAFF and POPULATION
- Total department active personnel – 30,000
- Total number of facilities – 67
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction – 60,000
- Average age – 36.7 years
Organization of state divisions, view here.
- Facilities – 30 field offices
- Population – 30,349
OVERCROWDING QUICK FACTS
New York plans to close three correctional camps and seven prison annexes in October.
- 334 Correction Officer positions were eliminated after the Fall 2008 housing unit consolidations.
- According to the New York State’s Security Services Unit, New York’s correctional facilities are operating at 100% capacity.
POINTS OF CONTACT
NYS Department of Correctional Services
1220 Washington Ave
Albany, New York 12226-2050
NEWS AND MEDIA
- State aid taken away as probation cases increase, read more.