Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Georgia’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures 2007-2008
- Annual budget: $1.2 billion
- Percentage of the state General Fund
recommended in the FY 2010 Budget Proposal to Corrections: 6%
- Average annual cost per inmate: $16,888
DOC Staff and Population
- Total department active personnel: 14,494
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 54,016
- Total number of facilities: 39
- Escaped: 4
- Average age: 36 years
Organization of state divisions, view here.
- Facilities: 57
- Population: 20,823
Overcrowding Quick Facts
- Georgia is the fifth largest prison system in the nation
- Due to state budget cuts, Georgia’s Department of Corrections budget was reduced by $66 million last fiscal year
Points of Contact
For general inquiries about the Department’s activities, call Georgia DOC Board of Corrections at: 404-656-6002, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organization of DOC Executive Staff, view here.
News and Media