Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Delaware’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s corrections system, as well as helpful references and points of contact.
Facts and Figures 2008-2009
- Annual budget: $2,494,514 million
- Average annual cost per inmate: $30,000
- Total number of facilities: 11
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 20,000
- Delaware’s five sanctioning options:
- Level V = Jail or Prison
- Level IV = Work Release, Residential Drug Treatment, Home Confinement, Violation of Probation Incarceration
- Level III = Intensive Probation Supervision
- Level II = Probation Supervision
- Level I = Unsupervised Probation
Organization of state divisions, view here.
Prisons compete with private-industry: yes
- Facilities: 7
- Population: 15,812
Overcrowding Quick Facts
- Approximately 97% of the inmate population will eventually be released to the community.
Points of Contact
Organization of DOC Executive Staff, view here.