Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Arkansas’ Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.
Facts and Figures 2008-2009
- Annual budget: $295,349,429
- Federal grant amount received: $981,068
- Care and custody operating expenditures: $272,844,471
- Average annual cost per inmate: $20,852
DOC Staff and Population
- Total department active personnel: 3,766
- Total number of facilities: 20
- Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 14,950
- Average sentence: 8 years
- Average sentence served: 2 years
Organization of state divisions, view here.
- Budget: $1,719,570
- Population: 20,080
Overcrowding Quick Facts
In comparison to other states, Arkansas ranked 15th in prison population growth and 10th in percentage of total general fund expenditure.
Points of Contact
Arkansas Department of Correction
P.O. Box 8707
Pine Bluff, AR 71611-8707
Organization of DOC Executive Staff, view here.
News and Media
The escape of two convicted killers and a prison overcrowding situation plague Arkansas, read more.