Prison Overcrowding: Arizona

Below is a summary of information including: statistics from Arizona’s Department of Corrections, an overview of the state’s prison overcrowding dilemma, as well as helpful references and points of contact for those interested in resolving the problem.

DOC Costs

  • Annual budget:$1,076,201,700
  • Average annual cost per inmate:
    • $22,794
    • $22,980 Medium Security
    • $23,914 Close Security
    • $28,309 Maximum Security
    • $19,129 In-State Private
    • $19,925 Out-of-State

 DOC Staff and Population

  • Total department active personnel
    • Correctional Officers: 5,374
  • Total number of facilities: 15
  • Total incarcerated under DOC jurisdiction: 56,228
  • Escaped: 2
  • Average sentence: 19 months
  • Average sentence served: 39% released inmates served less than six months—the remaining 61% only served on average 29 months
Prisons compete with private-industry: Yes

Parole

Population: 20,029

Organization of DOC Executive Staff, view here.

Overcrowding Quick Facts

  • Graph of overcrowding
  • Arizona lawmakers approved a 2008 measure that lets thousands of probationers end their terms early, in the hopes that this will reduce their chances of being sent to prison for conditions of probation violations.

Points of Contact

For general inquiries about the Department’s activities, send an email to the Public Affairs Office: PUBLIC_INFO@azcorrections.gov

 Helpful Links

Arizona Department of Corrections
Study Public Prisons vs. Private
Department of Corrections Strategic Plan

See also:

California Prison Overcrowding